Monday, October 18, 2010

How do you approach "impossible" problems?

Mr. Geissbühler achieved the "impossible" in the article from the New York Times below. Can you describe a time when you solved an "impossible problem" and the process you used to solve it?                                                                                                                                                                                          
                        Luke Geissbühler
In a Takeout Container, a Trek to the Stratosphere

A 100,000-FOOT VOYAGE
Luke Geissbuhler tethered a video camera to a weather balloon and launched it in August from Newburgh, N.Y. The trip took 90 minutes, and a seven-minute video became a viral success.
By SAM GROBART
Published: October 12, 2010, The New York Times

Luke Geissbühler has raised the bar in the cool-dad competition.

In August, Mr. Geissbühler, a 40-year-old director and cinematographer, tethered a video camera to a weather balloon and sent both more than 100,000 feet into the stratosphere. The camera safely returned to the ground with the help of a small parachute.

The entire trip took about 90 minutes, but a seven-minute account of the voyage, posted on the video-sharing site Vimeo, has become a viral success, garnering more than one million views since it was first uploaded on Sept. 19. The breathtaking video, with its NASA-like views of the Earth’s curves, has made Mr. Geissbühler the latest in a long line of scrappy, do-it-yourself geek heroes. (It can be seen at www.brooklynspaceprogram.org/BSP/Space_Balloon.html.)

The instigator for this particular space program was Mr. Geissbühler’s 7-year-old son, Max, who had made more than a few requests for a handmade spacecraft.
“Our creative process works this way: he asks for the impossible,” Mr. Geissbühler said, “and then I have to tell him why it’s impossible. And then I start to question that. And then I start to investigate that.”

8 comments:

  1. An impossible situation I went through was trying to climb the mountain wit the Hollywood Sign on it. As i am completly out of shape, I struggled with great amounts in order to finishthe trail that would lead to it. So many thoughts of giving up and wanting to return back to the starter point where the car was. I decided in order for me to complete this I need to have self discipline and motivation. As my cousin kept reminding me of "We can do it!!" I kept remindind my self I could.
    As well I kept to myself every step I take it is one step closer. Even through the heat and lack of water I accomplished my own "impossible" situation with the help of motivation of others and self discipling my self :]
    - Justin P Period 3 ! Physiology <333333

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I experienced an impossible problem, my friend said I couldn't jump off my two-story house without breaking/fracturing/spraining anything. I took on the impossible...it also became a bet. If i fail, I don't owe my friend anything because the pain would be enough. If I succeed, I win 100 dollars. So the process goes like this, Since he didn't say anything about the process on the way down, at the side of my house there is a tree, i hooked a thick chain around the tree three times and hammered a deep hook down to the grass below that connected to the other side of the chain, so that it wouldn't swing here and there. I put on some gloves for protection, and clothes that covered everything so that I wouldn't get a friction burn. I stood on the roof, climbed down two stories and succeeded. That day I walked away with 100 dollars!(:

    Lauren S. Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hakop Kosoyan
    11-1-10

    An "impossible" problem i conquered was when i was in the basketball team about 3 years ago. My goal was to steal the ball and pass it to our best shooter. at the time, i thought it would be impossible because there were only a few seconds left. As the other player passed the ball, i tipped it with my middle finger causing it to go to a different position. i ran to the ball and looked for my teammate, in which i made a pass. He then made the game winning shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something that seemede impossible at first soon became possible. I wanted to go to the snow with some friends in Lancaster. My cousin was my only ride and she continuosly refused in taking us. After a long hour of briving her with things she said yes. I told her that i would buy her an awesome game for her new wii system that she has been wanting, then i told her I was going to buy her some clothes and lastly i told her i would lie to her parents so that she can go out to the movies with her boyfriend. Thats all i really neeeded to say for her to take us! I dont know why i didnt think about that at first. Point being is that i needed to get her the game and clothes when all i really needed to say was ill lie for you so you can see your boyfriend:( On the other hand i was able to go to the snow:)-Gerlyn N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something i felt that was an "impossible" problem to solve was when my dad got cancer. It was one long year of my father having to go to the hospital and him trying to recuperate from the surgery he got from s tumor he had on his neck. The way my family helped him and support him get over it was by him eating healthy and not getting upset and by receiving s lot of family support.
    - Eva L. Period-3

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 years ago I was forced to make the most impossible choice i would ever have to make that changed my life. It's kind of hard to understand if one doesn't know my mom but 3 years ago I was the most miserable person you would ever meet. I was always sad or tired (now I'm just always tired lol)or depressed. There were moments when I just wanted to give up on life. My mom was...you could say a difficult person. Well one day she gave me the choice to stay with her or live with my dad and never see my sister again. What kind of mom would put that on a kid. My choice was to either live with my dad who was a much better "person" than my mom or never c my sister again. Well it took me a while but I decided to live with my dad and am now a very happy person, I got to c my sister half a year after that situation. I guess my mom realized it was "impossible" to keep us siblings apart.
    -Sorkin, Jane
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well one of the most impossible problems that I faced was the World History AP exam. For months my teacher explained how the AP was a killer and very difficult. He made much by saying it was designed for students not to pass. -.- I studied to for hours for this exam and when it came I took it head on and did. Too bad I failed it. Moral of the story just because you can't, doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I would say this was something impossible that I took on.

    -Renata Hernandez
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  8. What i thought was impossible to conquer was to become the jv girls cross country captain. I would try my best every practice after school and every meet we has to improve my time. I would improve by seconds and that would mean a lot to me. I wasnt the fastes girl in the team. When the time came to chose captains for the teams i was nominated. i was very shocked because i knew i wasnt fast enough to be captain. When the coach announced the winners she said my name. What i thought was impossible became possible for me.

    ReplyDelete